A little bit of everything Odds and ends of story ideas
- NEW! Ottawa Tourism and the Ottawa Convention Centre have paired up to offer the Great Rate Freeze whereby groups who book before the end of 2014 can guarantee current space rental rates for events through 2020.
- HOTEL: NEW! The demolition of an office building on Dalhousie Street in the ByWard Market neighbourhood has been completed, with plans for an as-yet-named boutique hotel (with rooftop lounge) to be built over the coming months. Le Groupe Germain—a prominent family-owned boutique hotel company in Canada—is building a new hotel on Slater Street to be known as ALT Hotel Ottawa. It will feature approximately 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a gym and complimentary WiFi in its 148 rooms over 12 floors. The downtown Ottawa National Hotel and Suites closed in late 2013 and is being renovated and “repositioned” over the next year.
- FLIGHTS: NEW! On February 6, 2014, Air North began new direct service between Ottawa and Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (then on to Whitehorse, Yukon). This is a great new link between Canada’s capital and northern communities. For international visitors, Ottawa becomes a natural first-stop in Canada before exploring the vast northern territory. Meanwhile, on June 15, 2014, WestJet begins offering a new daily service to Dublin, Ireland via St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- NEW! In November 2013, Ottawa Tourism launched the exclusive Capital Host Club, a partnership group working to bring more national and international conferences to Ottawa. Members have been recruited from the academic, scientific, NGO, high technology and other business sectors—people whose membership in professional associations make them ideally suited to attract high-profile conventions to Canada’s capital. Those who are chosen to join the Capital Host Club could have access to VIP events and be eligible for recognition at the annual Ottawa Tourism Awards.
- SHOPPING: NEWS! The new Tanger Outlets Ottawa shopping facility plans to open in late summer or early fall 2014 in Ottawa’s far west end near the Canadian Tire Centre. Eighty stores featuring about 350,000 square feet of shopping will include the Nike Factory Store, Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Store, Coach Factory Store, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Brooks Brothers, Guess Factory Store, American Eagle Factory Store, Michael Kors, and Donna Karan New York.
|« Previous Story||Next Story »|