Ottawa Event Calendar
October 15 - 19, 2014
Casino du Lac-Leamy
October 23 - 28, 2014
November 6 - 9, 2014
Quick bites What’s happening in Ottawa’s culinary scene?
- NEW! Looking for a way to discover local craft beer in Ottawa? Consider a Brew Donkey tour. This new company offers tours of breweries, brewpubs and beer-friendly restaurants in the region. (They also offer a craft beer delivery service for Ottawa residents.)
- NEW! And craft beer lovers have even more to love. Savvy Company—an Ottawa company that offers regular wine, beer and/or cheese events—recently launched Savvy Hip Hops, a “craft beer of the month” club delivering hard-to-find craft beers to your door including some from Covered Bridge Brewing, which opened in late 2013 in Ottawa’s west end.
- NEW! Chef Caroline Ishii, formerly of ZenKitchen, has created a line of nutritious truffles called Trufflishii. Consider “La vie en rose" which combines Cocoa Camino chocolate, rose petals, cherry, Earl Grey tea, jasmine, maca root, vanilla bean and citrus.
- NEW! Savour Ottawa, the region’s local food initiative, has a lot on the go in 2014. Watch for a revamped Savour Ottawa Field House selling all local products at the west-end Parkdale Market; a demonstration stand in the downtown ByWard Market where farmers, chefs and microprocessors can showcase their goods; and even a new coordinator—Trevor Haché.
- NEW! Marc Lépine’s award-winning and inventive Atelier Restaurant will soon have a little brother or sister. THRU will open—with just 6 seats (!)—sometime in 2014. Stay tuned for an as-yet-unrevealed concept!
- NEW! Sparks Street Village, Canada’s first pedestrian shopping mall, located just a block south of Parliament Hill, has launched several new events over the past year; one of the best (in November) was called PoutineFest and featured dozens of variations of the French fries-gravy-cheese curd specialty. Stay tuned for a second PoutineFest April 24-27, 2014.
- Supply and Demand, a comfortable and fresh seafood-friendly bistro in Ottawa’s Wellington West neighbourhood, was named #4 on enRoute magazine’s prestigious Top 10 New Restaurants Across Canada list. Gezellig and Union Local 613 were long-list finalists.
- NEW! The Ontario government has announced that changes in legislation will mean that Ontario wines will be allowed to be sold at farmers’ markets starting with the 2014 season. Stay tuned!
- Local brewer Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company collaborated with Ottawa-born comic Tom Green to produce a milk stout called The Tom Green Beer! Jimmy Fallon raved about the beer when Tom appeared on his show.
|« Previous Story||Next Story »|