Quick Bites What’s happening in Ottawa’s culinary scene?
- Street food: 18 new on-street food trucks and food carts rolled out earlier this year under a new City of Ottawa program. Most are downtown, but some are in neighbourhoods just outside downtown. Watch for Ottawa Streat Gourmet (on Queen St. near O’Connor St.); Ad Mare (on Slater St. at O’Connor St.); and Gongfu Bao (on Elgin St. near Slater St.), among others.
- The Novotel Ottawa has opened The Albion Rooms, a sleek new restaurant and bar, including an outdoor patio. Charcuterie, cheeses and fresh ingredients combine for a tempting treat.
- The third annual Savour Ottawa Harvest Table takes place Sunday, August 18 at the Ottawa Farmers’ Market. Highlighting food grown or raised by local farmers and prepared by chefs with a commitment to buying local, the event is a multi-course gourmet luncheon served family-style under tents. Not to be missed!
- Local brewer Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company launched a collaboration with Ottawa-born comic Tom Green in June 2013. Called The Tom Green Beer!, it’s a milk stout.
- In spring 2013, the Canada Agriculture Museum changed its name to the Canada Agriculture & Food Museum and launched a new Learning Centre in a converted heritage barn. Ottawa is the only world capital with a working farm at its heart—enjoy the dairy cows, pigs, goats, horses and more!
- Soda pop: Local brewery Kichesippi Beer Company has begun offering non-alcoholic refreshment with its retro soda pop under the Harvey & Vern’s label. Named after the owner’s grandfather and father-in-law, you can indulge in cream soda or ginger beer, with root beer coming by the end of 2013.
- Union Local 613: This spot offers fun southern U.S.-style food with a Canadian twist and great cocktails; don’t miss the quirky speakeasy in the basement (hidden behind a faux bookshelf).
- Restaurant e18hteen: Long a favourite in the ByWard Market neighbourhood, this chic modern space in a heritage building offers a raw bar with specials (including $1 oysters) between 5 and 7pm, Tuesday through Saturday, or splurge for the gourmet blind tasting menu.
- Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa: Indulge in a gourmet short course at the exclusive Canadian home of this famous French cooking school. Summer options include Middle Eastern flavours Aug. 10, The Art of Wedding Cakes Sept. 3, or Intro to Viennoiserie Sept. 10.
|« Previous Story||Next Story »|