Special Needs Travellers
- Physically disabled drivers and/or passengers who have a valid Ontario Accessible Parking Permit (which must be clearly displayed within the vehicle) are entitled to special parking privileges. See here for details on how to obtain a permit and where it can be used.
- Many OC Transpo city busses are fully accessible. Paratranspo buses are used to transport patrons who cannot easily access regular bus routes and offers door-to-door service to qualified visitors. Call 613-244-7272 for information.
- Many taxicabs are accessible and are marked with special license plates to indicate so.
- 25% percent of all intersections with traffic lights have Audible Pedestrian Signals, which emit a sound that indicates to visually impaired pedestrians when it is safe to cross the street.
- Fitness, recreation, aquatic, and arts programs have recently been expanded and adapted to meet the needs of the disabled.
- Many city buildings are fully accessible.