Christmas Lights Across Canada
Early December through early January, landmark sites across Ottawa are aglow with thousands of LED Christmas lights in the spectacular Christmas Lights Across Canada program.
- 300,000 dazzling Christmas lights glow at over 60 sites throughout downtown Ottawa.
- Parliament Hill is a must-see stop on any tour of the lights, with tens of thousands of bulbs lighting its historic buildings.
- The switch is flipped at an official illumination ceremony open to the public that includes carols and on-site performances.
- The program was launched in1985 as a way to liven up the darkest of winter days.
- The program extends from the Capital to all provincial and territorial capitals in the country.
- Many visitors schedule holiday shopping trips to Ottawa in time to see the lights.