Ottawa Event Calendar
October 15 - 19, 2014
Casino du Lac-Leamy
October 23 - 28, 2014
November 6 - 9, 2014
Supreme Court of Canada
As the highest court in the country — located in downtown Ottawa within walking distance of Parliament Hill — the Supreme Court deals with legal issues of public importance within Canada. And, if court is in session, you’re able to sit in on appeal hearings. Law students lead daily tours through the Court from May to August, and by reservation the rest of the year.
- The court is located on Wellington Street, just west of the Parliament Buildings, and was designed by renowned Canadian architect Ernest Cormier.
- The court's front steps are flanked by statues of Truth and Justice, created by Walter S. Allward, creator and architect of the Canadian War Memorial at Vimy Ridge, France.
- The entrance of the building features two candelabrum-style fluted metal lamp standards.
- The court's stunning Grand Entrance Hall is finished in different types of marble. The courtroom is finished in lavish and exotic woods.
- A statue of former Prime Minister Louis St-Laurent stands on the lawn in front of the building.
- Tucked away at the back of the building are a fountain and terrace overlooking the Ottawa River.