Celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation with festivities extending from June 30 to July 2, 2017!
For the full schedule of official Canada Day events, visit www.canada.ca/canadaday
Check out our Canada Day weekend tips and packing guide!
- Inspiration Village: FREE! A series of special exhibits and performing arts events housed in converted shipping containers, showcasing Canada’s provinces and territories. Stop at the larger-than-life OTTAWA sign for a selfie! York Street in the ByWard Market neighbourhood Until September 4, 2017 ottawa2017.ca
- MosaïCanada (3:00-10:00pm) : FREE! Be there for the June 30 LAUNCH of the impressive garden event featuring sculptures, paintings and a one-kilometre stroll through 40 giant horticulture arrangements. Jacques Cartier Park, Gatineau Until October 15, 2017 mosaicanada.ca
- Germany at the International Pavilion: FREE! The Federal Republic of Germany exhibits and promotes its relationship with Canada and showcases the best of its culture, commerce, ideas, values and traditions. 7 Clarence Street Until July 26, 2017 ncc-ccn.gc.ca/our-projects/canada-150/confederation-pavilions
- Populace: FREE! An outdoor, ceramic art installation outside the Canadian Museum of Nature featuring feathers, roses, and fleurs de lis, representing Indigenous people, the English and the French. Until September 4, 2017 populace2017.com
- Storytime at Rideau Hall: FREE! Bring your kids, pick out a book, settle into the Frontier College Reading Tent, and enjoy reading. Join the LAUNCH on June 30. Until August 26 (Fridays and Saturdays) gg.ca/visitus
- Canada Scene: The National Arts Centre brings together talented artists in music, theatre, dance, visual and media arts, film, literature, comedy, circus and culinary arts for an extraordinary national celebration! The festival shines a spotlight on iconic artists who inspire us, dynamic artists who challenge us, and the diverse cultures that bring us together. Until July 23, 2017 nac-cna.ca/canadascene
- Ottawa Jazz Festival: From the avant-garde to big band and swing, come enjoy musical stylings to suit any jazz aficionado! FREE! on July 1 Confederation Park Until July 2, 2017 ottawajazzfestival.com
- Haunted Walk presents 150 years of Canada’s scariest ghost stories: True north strong and spooky! Guides from the Haunted Walk celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday by sharing their favourite Canadian ghost stories. 46-½ Sparks Street Until July 8, 2017 hauntedwalk.com
- Major’s Hill Park (4:00pm-8:00pm): FREE! Celebrate Canadian culture, heritage, and sports with a full day of music, games, and fun for the whole family. Take a Canada trivia challenge, explore the arts and culture of Indigenous communities, learn about the significance of the turban, have a go at swing dancing, and more!
- Canadian Museum of History (5:00-10:30pm): FREE! Explore Canada’s stories and symbols through its collections, architecture, people, and fun activities including face painting, a choir of Syrian refugee children living in Canada, an extreme fun zone featuring a mini aerial train, climbing wall and inflatable games, a silent DJ night, and much more! historymuseum.ca
- Canada D’Eh! Fest: FREE! Three full days of celebrations filled with beachfront entertainment, live music, and lots of food and drinks. Fun for the whole family! Petrie Island Starting at 4:00 pm June 30 and at 11:00 am on July 1-2, 2017 orleanscanadaday.ca
- MyCanada 150: FREE! A special art exhibit lining Sparks Street with photos of Canadians with roots from around the world. Walk around with friends and family and read stories from Canadians who come from countries A-Z! Sparks Street June 27-30, 2017 mycanadaproject.ca
- Kanata Festival of Beer: Bringing together bands with beer for a fantastic two-day event. Walter Baker Park June 30-July 1, 2017 kanatafestivalofbeer.com
- Ottawa Boat Rave (1:00-5:00pm): This ticketed event will highlight the start of Canada Day weekend on the Ottawa River, featuring DJ Katrella. 19+ stagepulse.com
- Nature Nocturne (8:00pm-12:00am): Celebrate Canada’s 150 birthday with the biggest, time-trippiest, way-back throwback party in Ottawa at the Canadian Museum of Nature! 19+ nature.ca/nocturne
- Oh Manada! (8:00-11:30pm): A cheeky take on patriotism by Canada’s premier all-male burlesque troupe. Join them for an evening of saucy celebratory performances. ohmanadaottawa.eventbrite.ca
- Soca Boat 150 on the Ottawa River Queen (11:30pm, returning at 2:45am): Dance the night away on a Caribbean-themed boat ride with astonishing views of Canada’s capital after dark. 19+. socaboat.ca
- The Goodyear Blimp will be flying over the Ottawa skies, don’t forget to look up! June 30 – July 2, 2017 goodyearblimp.com
JULY 1 – CANADA DAY
Explore three official Canada Day sites
- Parliament Hill (9:00am-11:30pm): FREE! Experience Canadian pride during emotional moments such as the gun salute, air show with the Snowbirds and CF-18s, a day of festive and energetic performances, including le Cirque du Soleil, as well as the special presence of the Prime Minister of Canada, the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, the Governor General of Canada, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston and Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (aka Prince Charles and Camilla).
- Major’s Hill Park (9:00am-midnight): FREE! Celebrate Canadian culture, heritage, and sports with a full day of music, activities, and patriotic festivities! Participate in music workshops, taste the newest Canadian chicken sandwich recipe, BEEcome a beekeeper, photo opportunities, games, and much more!
- Canadian Museum of History (9:00am-midnight): FREE! Immerse yourself in 15,000 years of Canadian history at the GRAND OPENING of the new CANADIAN HISTORY HALL! Test your agility, balance and speed with Motivate Canada, experience Conundrum, the Canoe as a Drum, discover the art of henna, visit a wacky balloon factory, travel through ancient Syrian culture, history and traditions, and much more!
FIREWORKS 11:00PM: FREE!
The largest pyromusical fireworks show ever presented in Canada’s capital region ignites the Ottawa–Gatineau sky during a 20-minute and 17-second spectacle of colours. Best locations for a striking view of the fireworks include Major’s Hill Park and the Canadian Museum of History.
- National Arts Centre (11:00am-8:00pm): FREE! The GRAND OPENING of the newly renovated entranceway and public spaces of Canada’s premier performing arts centre. Canada Day BBQ, concerts, and activities for the whole family! July 1-2, 2017 nac-cna.ca
- Laurier House National Historic Site (11:00am-4:00pm): FREE! Family activities throughout the day to celebrate Canada 150! pc.gc.ca/laurierhouse
- Downtown Rideau Living Flag (on-site registration at 11:30am, flag formation at 1:00pm) FREE! On Canada Day, join over 450 people who will create a living Canadian flag. Pre-registration is required. Downtown Rideau’s Ogilvy Square downtownrideau.com/events/canada-day-living-flag
- Many museums offer FREE admission on Canada Day
- Bank of Canada Museum – GRAND OPENING on July 1, 2017
- Canadian Museum of History – GRAND OPENING of the new Canadian History Gallery on July 1, 2017!
- Canadian Museum of Nature – Check out the new Arctic Gallery, opened June 21, 2017!
- National Gallery of Canada – Check out the newly integrated Canadian and Indigenous Galleries, opened June 15, 2017!
- Bytown Museum – Celebrating its 100th birthday this year!
- Canadian War Museum
- Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
- Royal Canadian Mint
- Canada Aviation and Space Museum
- Diefenbunker, Canada’s Cold War Museum
- Royal Canadian Mint Canada Day celebrations (9:00am-5:00pm): FREE! A fun filled day of activities including a Canada 150 themed token strike, children’s entertainers and free guided tours. A limit of one free token strike per guest. www.mint.ca
- Community Canada Day celebrations: FREE! From Beacon Hill to Stittsville, and all the way to Winchester, neighbourhoods throughout Canada’s capital region partake in the celebrations. Live bands, BBQs, trivia games, and entertainment are in store! ottawa2017.ca/civic-events
- Canada Day Tea (10:30am-4:00pm): Spend time with your loved ones while enjoying a traditional three-tier platter, and special Canada Day Tea. Billings Estate National Historic Site ottawa.ca/en/residents/arts-heritage-and-culture/museums-and-historic-sites/billings-estate-national-historic
- Ottawa Brewery Market (11:00am-7:00pm): Fill up on hometown pride by helping to empty kegs served by various local and Ontario craft breweries. Free admission! Hintonburg Park brewerymarket.com
- Dominion Day (12:00-11:00pm): Local craft brewery Dominion City hosts this day of amazing food from local chefs, music from local musicians, and art from local Canadian artists. Canada Agriculture and Food Museum dominionday.ca
- Canada Day International Regatta: The Canadian sprint paddling community is part of Canada Day celebrations! Rideau Canoe Club, Mooney’s Bay July 1-2, 2017 rideaucanoeclub.ca
- Chimeda – Paddling together: The Indigenous and non-Indigenous community comes together to paddle from Wakefield to Ottawa as part of community-based reconciliation in a canoe. www.chimeda.weebly.com
- WE DAY! on Parliament Hill (4:00-9:00pm) FREE! A family-friendly event featuring world-renowned speakers such as Lieutenant-General, the Honourable Roméo Dallaire, A-list Canadian performers including Hedley, Barenaked Ladies, Ottawa-born Alanis Morissette, and many more! we.org
- Major’s Hill Park (9:00am-5:00pm) FREE! The celebrations continue with a day filled with music, games, trivia, and dance! Let L’incroyable expérience – science or magic? mesmerize you, a variety of buskers captivate you, and Side Street Swing Dance Ottawa energize you!
- Canadian Museum of History (9:00am-5:00pm) FREE! The celebrations continue! Check out a comedy circus show, get amazed by aerial acrobats, learn the art of the jig, and be prepared to meet a variety of characters including clowns, a Bubble Queen, Fous-du-roi, and many more!
- Interprovincial Picnic on the Bridge Stretching between Ottawa and Gatineau, the Alexandra Bridge walkway will be covered with sod to create picnic spots overlooking Parliament Hill and the Ottawa River! ottawa2017.ca
- Ottawa Farmers’ Market (9:00am-3:00pm) FREE! Premium quality, Ottawa-area fruits, vegetables, meats, flowers and crafts. Aberdeen Square at Lansdowne ottawafarmersmarket.ca
- Love Thou Thy Land: The Making of Canada’s History: The Bytown Museum offers a variety of cultural music and community groups that demonstrate the diversity of Canada, developing a sense of place and pride! Bytown Museum Until July 8, 2017 bytownmuseum.com