The Algonquin College Event Management program is a post graduate certificate program and Work Placement is a great way for students to gain on-the-job experience before they enter the job market. Participating in work placement programs gives students valuable hands-on experience in their field of study, strengthening their skills and connecting them to industry professionals. The program benefits both students and your event, as their eagerness to learn and participate gives you the onsite help that you need. It’s a win/win!
Before submitting your request, please note the following:
- A mentor/ supervisor MUST be on site to guide the students as to the expectations of the role they will play.
- There is a responsibility on the planner’s part to go on line and enter the request details.
- Once Professors have approved your placement request, the student(s) indicate their interest to apply in the on line database. The student(s) will contact the planner to express their interest and arrange an interview (may be a phone interview or in person). The interview process ensures the planner selects students who are the appropriate fit with your event.
- The selected student(s) will provide the planner with a Ministry of Colleges & Universities insurance document for signing. This ensures the student is covered by the Ministry should anything happen on site.
- There isn’t always a guarantee that students will apply for the postings. For example, if the event occurs during exam time, students may not want to commit.
If you are interested in hosting a student(s), please process your requests here: lyceum.algonquincollege.com/lts/WorkPlacement/Login.aspx
Questions may be directed to one of the Algonquin College Event Management Professors:
Sylvia Densmore – Coordinator, Professor & Field Placement Coach
613-727-4723 ext. 7423
Sandy Ouellette – Professor & Field Placement Coach
613-727-4723 ext. 7258
Lynn Noel – Field Placement Coach
613-727-4723 ext. 5606