Ottawa Tourism presented the 2016 edition of the Ottawa Tourism Awards on Thursday, April 28 at the Ottawa Marriott.
Winners were chosen among 16 finalists in four major award categories:
Event of the Year – Exhibition
- *** WINNER *** Canadian War Museum: Gladiators and the Colosseum: Death and Glory
- National Gallery of Canada: Alex Colville: A Canadian Icon
Event of the Year – Festival
- *** WINNER *** CityFolk
- Music and Beyond
- Tim Hortons Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival
- Upper Canada Village: Alight at Night Festival
New Company of the Year
- Capital Ukrainian Festival
- *** WINNER *** Escape Bicycle Tours
- *** WINNER *** Escape Manor
- Ottawa Tasting Tours
- Wesley Clover Parks
Partnership of the Year
- Canadian Museum of History with Pointe- à-Callière, Montreal Archaeology and History Complex, The Field Museum and the National Geographic Museum
- CityFolk with the Glebe BIA
- Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum with the Department of National Defence and LEGION magazine
- Haunted Walks Inc. with Mackenzie King Estate and Upper Canada Village
- *** WINNER *** Music and Beyond and the National Gallery of Canada
The Tourism Volunteer award was awarded to Dr. Wahab Almuhtadi, a very active partner through the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) organization in bringing conventions to Ottawa.
The Tourism Achievement award was presented to Claude Sauvé in recognition of his significant contribution to the growth and vitality of tourism in Ottawa during his time with the Fairmont Château Laurier.
Three other award winners were recognized at the event:
- James Ross won the Ottawa Tourism Travel Writing Award for his article, Getaway to Spooky Fun at Ottawa’s Escape Manor, which appeared at www.TravelWritersTales.com as well as in three B.C. weekly newspapers: Kamloops This Week; The Delta Optimist; and The Vernon Morning Star.
- Steven Carnaffan of Professional Entertainment Group was congratulated for being named the 2015 Star of the City.
- Erin Haddon, a student in Algonquin College’s School of Hospitality & Tourism, received the annual Tourism Scholarship.
The Ottawa Tourism Awards are coordinated by Ottawa Tourism and celebrate the individuals, organizations and events that have set high standards and demonstrated outstanding achievement, contributing to the growth and development of tourism in Ottawa and Canada’s capital region.