Share your best Ottawa video on September 10 with CTV’s Canada in a Day!
Attention videographers: CTV is asking for your help! Their “Canada in a Day” project asks residents and visitors alike to “grab your camera and film your life” on Saturday, Sept. 10! Participants can upload their footage from this Saturday onto the CTV website for Canada in a Day and from this, a curated video special will be created. The video will be shown in celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary, compiling experiences from across Canada filmed over a 24-hour period on Sept. 10.
Ottawa Tourism pulled together some suggestions for events and attractions around Ottawa this weekend that you might want to film and upload! Let us know if you have any other suggestions.
- Visit Parliament Hill, and get great captures of the Peace Tower, Centennial Flame, and make sure to get footage of the final night of the Northern Lights: Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill!
- Take a trip on the Aqua Taxi on the Ottawa River and get beautiful views of the National Gallery of Canada, Parliament Hill, the Canadian Museum of History and more as you travel from Ottawa to Gatineau and back!
- Hang out with Maman, the bronze spider sculpture outside of the National Gallery of Canada or include a capture of the iconic architecture that is the gallery roof. Or, get some footage inside the gallery—just make sure to ask an attendant before filming.
- Visit the Canadian Museum of Nature and film some dinosaurs, birds or Canadian wildlife, or seek our their famous “Mammoth Crossing” and “Dinosaur Crossing” signs outside, or even the Gardens of Canada along O’Connor Street!
- Check out the Diefenbunker and include information about Canada’s Cold War Museum
- Learn about Ottawa when it was known as Bytown and its history as a lumber centre at the Bytown Museum (located at the Ottawa Locks)
- Watch Parks Canada staff manually operate the Ottawa Locks of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site! Hint: The locks are also pedestrian bridges—walk your bike across for a sweet capture.
- Rent a kayak or paddleboat at the Dows Lake Pavilion and film a first-person view of the Rideau Canal.
- Hike, swim, or bike in Gatineau Park—and enjoy the Mackenzie King Estate Family Event on Saturday.
- Peruse the stalls of the Byward Market, making sure to check out the fresh produce, crafts, and maple products!
- Enjoy a BeaverTail pastry—quintessentially Canadian!
- Grab a pint of beer at any of a number of craft breweries around the city, and show Canada how many beers Ottawa has to offer!
- Check out the trendy neighbourhood of Wellington West and include any of a number of locally owned shops and restaurants
- Enjoy all things bacon at Baconpalooza at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum!
- Film the family fun at the Russell Fair, including rides and agricultural exhibits!
- Visit St. Albert’s Cheese for some cheese curds, a Canadian staple!
- Watch the sunset from Nepean Point and include a capture of the iconic Samuel de Champlain statue.