As summer days get shorter, music-lovers look forward to the last hurrah of Ottawa’s music festivals: CityFolk. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the five-day event has an impressive lineup on tap with over 60 top and emerging artists on two stages at Lansdowne Park near downtown Ottawa. And if that’s not enough, offshoot festival Marvest hosts over 70 free shows in the surrounding Glebe neighbourhood. End the festival season on a high note at CityFolk, September 12-16, 2018!
Icons and rising stars
Each year, CityFolk attracts Canadian and international artists representing folk, rock, alternative, bluegrass, hip hop, country, and other musical genres. This year, more than 60 acts are performing at Lansdowne Park on the outdoor City Stage (on the Great Lawn) and on the RAVENLAW Stage (in the historic Aberdeen Pavilion).
The 2018 lineup includes everything from world-renown artists to local favourites. Some highlights:
- Wednesday, Sept. 12: Tedeschi Trucks Band, Kaleo, Steve Earle & The Dukes
- Thursday, Sept. 13: David Byrne, Trampled By Turtles, Tune-Yards, Andy Shauf
- Friday, Sept. 14: Nick Murphy (Chet Faker), William Prince, Allan Rayman, Flint Eastwood, Humble Pie
- Saturday, Sept. 15: Hozier, Michael McDonald, Belle and Sebastian, Ben Caplan, Skydiggers, Lindi Ortega, Gene Clark Tribute, Whitney Rose, Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore (Backed by The Guilty Ones)
- Sunday, Sept. 16: The Decemberists, Janis Ian, Whitehorse, Terra Lightfoot, Colter Wall, Mt. Joy, Chris Smither, MonkeyJunk
More than music
In addition to amazing concerts in an incredible setting, CityFolk also has on-site vendors of craft beer, food, artisanal products and official merchandise. Want to introduce young kids to live music? Children aged nine and under get complimentary access when accompanied by a ticketed adult, and they can enjoy kid-friendly activities on weekend afternoons in the BSOMA KidZone.
CityFolk’s offshoot event, Marvest (a musical harvest), spotlights Ottawa’s own musical community. Businesses throughout the lively Glebe neighbourhood host over 70 free concerts by talented local acts, Sept. 14-15, 2018. A feast of local music! There are even family-friendly afternoon shows on Saturday.
To see the full lineup of CityFolk and Marvest performances, and to get your tickets, visit the CityFolk website. Don’t miss the last big music event of the year!