This unique festival, which couples timeless classical music with several other beautiful art forms, kicks off Ottawa’s annual July music festivals list! Music & Beyond is taking place at various venues throughout Ottawa from July 4-17, 2017.
Over 14 days, this festival hosts about 80 concerts that feature orchestras, wind ensembles, instrumental and vocal recitals as well as smaller ensembles. These ensembles are partnered with dance, theatre pieces, visual art, poetry, yoga, acrobatics and more. This festival aims to make classical music accessible to all audiences, including students, seniors and families.
Some highlights this year include:
- The Opening Gala on July 4 at the National Gallery of Canada featuring Sarah Chang, one of the top violinists in the world
- Cold-war-themed performances inside the Diefenbunker: Canada’s Cold War Museum on July 8
- A day of entertainment on July 9 at the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum with music representing the period
- A Soirée at the National Gallery of Canada on July 11 which will fill the museum with performances
- An evening of wine and music with Véronique Rivest, one of the world’s best sommeliers, at her restaurant Soif on July 14
- Some of the great artists featured at this year’s festival include The Kronos Quartet, Garrick Ohlsson, Canadian Brass, Jens Lindemann, Quartango, White Horse Chamber Choir, Gregory Charles and many more
- On July 16, Music & Beyond will present the Ottawa Family Music Expo 2017. This FREE, family-friendly event will take place on the grounds of the University of Ottawa. Enjoy various fun, music-related activities from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.!