Ottawa is THE place to be this New Year’s Eve! On Dec. 31, Ottawa will welcome 2017 and kick off celebrations for Canada’s 150th anniversary all across the country. There are several things to see and do. This is an Ottawa party that you don’t want to miss!
Please avoid driving into the downtown core on New Years Eve. Due to all the road closures it is best to take advantage of the free service by OC Transpo which begins at 4:30 pm December 31st and runs through 3:00 am January 1st.
- Sesquicentennial Celebrations at Ottawa City Hall. This early-evening NYE party will offer family-friendly activities and the lighting of a spectacular gas-powered cauldron in Marion Dewar Plaza. From the cauldron, students will form a human chain through Ottawa’s downtown core to symbolize youthful optimism. The cauldron, which is approximately 16 feet high and 13 feet wide, will be located near the memorial fountain next to Laurier Avenue. This event is free.
- Celebrate – Canada 150 Kick Off will take place on Parliament Hill at 7:00 p.m. There will be special activities on both sides of the Ottawa River, including live music performances and a pyromusical fireworks show at 8:17 p.m., also known as 20:17! This celebration will kick off festivities all across the country! After the fireworks at 8:17 p.m., Canadian artists Radio Radio, Brett Kissel and Carly Rae Jepsen will take the stage. There will then be a second fireworks display at midnight. This event is free. Visit Ottawa Tourism’s Signature 2017 Events page for more details.
- A New Year’s Eve Hogmanay party invites you to welcome 2017 in Scottish-style. Taking place at Lansdowne’s Aberdeen Pavilion, Hogmanay is a family-friendly party that features traditional and modern Scottish music, Highland dancing, Scotch tasting sessions, Scottish food and drink, outdoor skating and fireworks. Hogmanay aims to replicate the excitement of Edinburgh’s world famous Royal Mile as the clock strikes midnight and we enter the New Year. Admission to this event is free.
- A Christmas Carol at the National Arts Centre (NAC). See an afternoon presentation of this classic Christmas story by Charles Dickens! See how Ebenezer Scrooge changes as he is visited by his former partner Marley as well as the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come. A Christmas Carol runs from Dec. 13-31, 2016.
- KINKY BOOTS at the National Arts Centre (NAC). Why not celebrate New Year’s with a little bit of Broadway? Opt to see an afternoon or an evening presentation of this musical that will take you from a gentlemen’s shoe factory in Northampton to the glamorous catwalks of Milan. Why not see the evening performance and then spend the night on the town? KINKY BOOTS is running from Dec. 27, 2016 to Jan. 1, 2017.
- Ottawa New Year’s Charity Ball at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre. Starting at 6:00 p.m. on Dec. 31, enjoy a classy and fun night out to benefit organizations that help children with autism and special needs. This is a great opportunity to get your tuxedo or evening gown out of the closet! Great prizes will also be available.
- Welcome 2017 with dinner at Beckta dining & wine. Enjoy a three-course meal during the early seating at 6:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. or opt for a later five-course blind tasting menu at 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Wine pairings are also available. Beckta dining & wine is located at 150 Elgin St., just a short walk from Parliament Hill.
- Island F.E.V.E.R. at the Ottawa Marriott Hotel. Welcome 2017 at this island-themed New Year’s Eve party! Enjoy music by DJ Ray Ray and DJ MACE, complimentary Caribbean-style hors d’oeuvres, a complimentary beverage, party favours and more. This is Ottawa’s biggest indoor New Year’s Eve party.
- Masquerade into 2017 with Escape Manor. Escape Manor will host a New Year’s Eve party at Lowertown Brewery at 73 York St. The party will start with a cocktail reception from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and continue with a dance party for the rest of the night! Masks are encouraged along with canned good donations for the Ottawa Food Bank.
- Welcome 2017 with Copper Goes Gold! Located at the new Andaz Ottawa ByWard Market hotel, Copper Spirits & Sights Rooftop Lounge will host a New Year’s Eve party with a spectacular bird’s eye view of Ottawa! Enjoy canapes, charcuterie, champagne and more. Also, enjoy a great view of the 2017 fireworks at 8:17 p.m. The doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Welcome 2017 with dinner at Le Baccara. If a fine dining New Year’s Eve experience is what you’re after, you’ll get it here. Located just across the Ottawa River at the Casino Lac-Leamy, Le Baccara is one of the only Five Diamond designated restaurants in the area. Enjoy a five-course meal at a 5:30 p.m. seating or opt for seven courses and a glass of sparkling wine at 8:00 p.m. A reservation is recommended.
- Ring in the New Year at Arôme. This is another fabulous restaurant located at the Casino Lac-Leamy! Starting at 5:00 p.m., you can enjoy a three-course meal with a glass of sparkling wine. There will also be live entertainment! A reservation is recommended.
- Dance the night away in the Hilton Lac-Leamy ballroom! Enjoy 2017 Resolutions featuring DJ Arabika, Mike Robia and Classyfied. This special event starts at 10:00 p.m.
- Looking for a more relaxed New Year’s Eve experience? Head to Nordik Spa-Nature, located at about a 20 minute drive north of Ottawa’s downtown core. Welcome 2017 as you relax in a bubbling hot tub and watch Ottawa’s twinkling skyline. New Year’s Eve packages include snacks, a glass of sparkling wine at midnight and a bathrobe rental.
This list will be updated as more Ottawa New Year’s Eve Events are announced. So please stay tuned!