From free, family-friendly outings, to comedy shows, to chic VIP parties, here are just a few of the many New Year’s Eve events happening in Canada’s capital region on December 31, 2019. Plus, you can take advantage of free public transportation on OC Transpo after 8 p.m.!
- Enjoy the free Christmas Lights Across Canada programming across downtown Ottawa. On Dec. 31, 2019, the Lightscapes multimedia show projected onto Parliament Hill will run until midnight.
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve at the biggest Hogmanay event outside of Scotland: the 8th annual Hogman-eh! party at Lansdowne’s Aberdeen Pavilion. This family-friendly party features traditional and modern Scottish music, Highland dancing, Scottish food and drink and even fireworks!
- The National Arts Centre is hosting an elegant party in the Canada Room. Enjoy a four-course dinner, party favours and dancing to the sounds of a DJ playing music ranging from the Big Band era to today.
- Choose from two events at the historic and castle-like Fairmont Château Laurier: indulge in an special meal at Wilfrid’s, or sip fancy cocktails and dance to a DJ in Zoe’s.
- STARFISH Events is hosting their annual NYE Ottawa event at the Ottawa Marriott. Party to DJ music, enjoy hors d’oeuvres, beverages, party favours and a complimentary photo booth.
- Attend the Roaring 2020’s New Year’s Eve Party at Copper Spirits and Sights, the rooftop indoor/outdoor lounge at the Andaz Ottawa ByWard Market hotel. The 1920s speakeasy themed event will feature live music, DJ, food stations and special cocktails.
- Love beer? Get your tickets to CRAFT Beer Market’s New Year’s Eve event. The Lansdowne restaurant is offering four-course meal with optional suggested beer (and wine) pairings, plus a live DJ. You can also skip dinner and just attend the dance party.
- Join “Very Kinki New Years Eve Party” at Kinki Lounge & Kitchen. Enjoy entertainment by Burlesque dancers and dance to DJ music. Optional dinner and drinks option available.
- Looking for an upscale, chic event that supports a good cause? Prepare your evening gown or tuxedo for the Ottawa New Year’s Eve Charity Ball taking place at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre, just east of downtown. Enjoy cocktails, a four-course meal, live music, and a DJ. Plus, participate in live and silent auctions, grand prize raffle and take advantage of on-site childcare. All proceeds benefit charities that support children with autism and special needs.
- Laugh your way into 2019 at the 8th Annual New Year’s Eve Comedy Night at the Shenkman Arts Centre in Orléans. Top Canadian comedians Gilson Lubin, Andrew Chapman and Nour Hadidi have some side-splitting material in store for the celebration.
- The classical music group Ars Nova invites you to An Evening on the Orient Express at the Church of St. Bartholomew in New Edinburgh. This gala includes a reception and silent auction, a concert, dinner, dancing, door prizes and more.
- For a leisurely outing with the family, head just west of Ottawa to Wesley Clover Parks for Magic of Lights, a drive-through holiday light display. Nearly one million LED lights are spread over two kilometres, including a 200-foot light tunnel and large LED displays of your favourite winter characters like snowmen, elves and more. Open daily 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. until Jan. 5, 2020, including Dec. 31, 2019!
- Perspectives Restaurant at the Brookstreet hotel is offering several holiday specials, including two options on Dec. 31: an early 3-course dinner and a 6-course midnight dinner. And their New Year’s Day brunch is a great way to continue the celebrations!
- For a laid-back, family-friendly experience, head 45-minutes south of Ottawa’s downtown to Upper Canada Village. During the Alight at Night festival, the 1860’s heritage village is adorned with nearly one million twinkling lights, horse-drawn wagon rides, a life-size Toy Train that winds its way around the village, and much more. The site is open from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2019.
- Ring in 2020, VIP style, at the Casino du Lac-Leamy’s Aléa nightclub. Their New Year’s Eve party features tunes by DJs Tizi + Khaos.
- Dance the night away in the Hilton Lac-Leamy ballroom! The 2020 Resolutions gala event starts at 10:00 p.m. and features deep house & hip-hop with DJs Carl Mürren and Rossvel.
- For the ultimate relaxing New Year’s Eve experience, head to Nordik Spa-Nature, located at about a 20-minute drive north of Ottawa’s downtown core. Welcome 2020 as you relax in a hot tub and watch Ottawa’s twinkling skyline. Reserve your spot for New Year’s Eve on the spa’s website and enjoy the benefits of the thermal experience, the Aufguss ritual and treat yourself to a meal at one of the on-site restaurants.
For even more ideas on what to do this New Year’s Eve, consult our Event Calendar. And share your moments with us by using #MyOttawa on social media!