This May long weekend marks the final days of the Canadian Tulip Festival, as well as the start of lots of great summer activities! Here is a list of activities happening in and around Ottawa this weekend, beginning May 10, 2018:
- The Canadian Tulip Festival continues this weekend with the 66th edition and special theme A World of Tulips. Now through Monday, May 21 enjoy special programming at main sites Lansdowne Park, Commissioners Park/Dows Lake, the Garden Promenade, and in the ByWard Market neighbourhood. This weekend, be sure to check out Rendez-vous des Saveurs (May 18-20), Victoria Weekend fireworks (Sunday, May 20 at Dow’s Lake), along with lots more special programming! Some of the events are FREE!
- The Ottawa Champions kick off their 2018 season with nightly games from Friday, May 18 to Wednesday, May 23 against the Trois-Rivières Aigles and the New Jersey Jackals.
- The Canada Science and Technology Museum welcomes the fun LEGO brick exhibition now until the beginning of September! Head to see The Art of the Brick to learn more about the versatility of this classic childhood toy.
- The Victoria Day long weekend marks the start of lockage season on the Rideau Canal. Visitors can now boat along this UNESCO World Heritage Site and through the locks until October. This means that European company Le Boat is also now in operation – look out for these luxury boats (you drive them yourself!) along the Rideau Canal throughout the summer!
- This weekend also marks the first weekend of operation for Capital Cruises – hop on board their boat for a tour of the Ottawa River throughout the summer season!
- The National Gallery of Canada’s summer exhibition, Impressionist Treasures: The Ordrupgaard Collection, opens the evening of Thursday, May 17 and extends to the beginning of September 2018.
- Celebrate International Museums Day with free admissions to select museums around the city including the Bytown Museum on Friday, May 18 and the National Gallery of Canada on Sunday, May 20. FREE!
- Head to the Canadian Museum of Nature for their summer exhibition Brain: The Inside Story to learn more about the human brain. It runs from Friday, May 18 until the beginning of September!
- Calling all princes and princesses – this weekend’s Royal Wedding can be watched at the Royal-Tea viewing this Saturday, May 19 at Zoé’s in the Fairmont Château Laurier hotel, in partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation!
- Learn about sheep and sheepshearing at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum’s Sheep Shearing Festival, this Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20!
- NOKIA Sunday Bikedays begin this weekend! Enjoy car-free parkways throughout Ottawa on most Sundays until the beginning of September to allow for safe biking, running, walking, and more. FREE!
Don’t forget to share your pictures of this weekend on social media using #MyOttawa!
For more information on these events and others, see the Ottawa Tourism Events page.
All details provided for the above events are subject to change at the discretion of event organizers. Ottawa Tourism does not take responsibility for changes which may occur beyond our control.